Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Abortion Rights.

Today I'd like to deviate slightly from the usual subject matter of the blog and bring up something that I find really important: Abortion rights. Specifically, ignorant people who bash/condemn/humiliate women who have had abortions. It's not enough that this woman has had to terminate her own pregnancy, go through intense physical and emotional distress and trauma, and probably spend the rest of her life crying at random times because the memories are just that strong; (I have had the unfortunate role of confidante to friends who have had this procedure, I am not making these up.) but let's condemn her and make her want to kill herself while we're at it!

What is wrong with some people?

Not really being okay with abortions is fine, it is your personal preference and there's nothing wrong with that. But when people actively seek to condemn people who have had an abortion, and try to take away their right to do so.. That is wrong.

Who are these people to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body? They have no idea of the circumstance, of the financial, physical, and emotional state of the woman. They have no right to try to intimidate and scare a woman out of having an abortion if she chooses to do so, and equally no right to condemn her afterward for what she's done. No one wants to have an abortion, sometimes they are necessary.

These "religious" people who stand outside abortion clinics holding up signs, or the fanatics that bomb the clinics.. Who are they to judge, exactly? Are they without "sin", guilt, etc? No, they are not. (Especially seeing as if you bomb an abortion clinic, you're going to kill people. Where are your commandments now, hmm?)

It just makes me sick to see so many people condemning innocent women for what was probably one of the most difficult choices in her life. People need to take a step back and lose their holier-than-thou attitude.

5 comments:

  1. Just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to Blogland. Wow, at this time last year I was new. You're in for a real treat. Many wonderful people to meet.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words. I agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhhhh, the Religious Right.....so many clusterfucks so little time. I'd love to read a collection written by you on each and every one of their "causes" and why one is just as bad if not worse than the one before.

    People who's Religion is fueled by hate are the saddest and most confused people. Most are driven by the "mob mentality" of fear = hate = getting into heaven.

    Pretty fucked up.

    I give them no attention, just as I give a naughty child doing bad things for attention no attention. To give them attention is only adding fuel to the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree. It was the worst thing possible to come out of the clinic and have people praying for me. Never mind that I don't believe in sin, I believe that the spirit of the aborted will be reincarnated, and christianity means little to me. It still hurts that when I have gone in even for birth control they are yelling or praying (because they ASSume I'm going in for an abortion every time).

    Walk past with your head high though, don't give them the honor of noticing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the comments, it's nice to know I'm not alone in noticing the insanity of some people!

    ReplyDelete