Saturday, August 21, 2010

Interesting night.

Tonight my partner and I were asked by his brother if we minded thawing out some mice and giving them to his adolescent red-tailed Boa Constrictor. After holding the poor, frozen baby mice in a hot water (They were in a plastic bag), we brought them into his room and got comfortable to watch the snake eat. We put two of the mice atop a rock inside the enclosure, and put another in the floor of it. The snake had come out from its hiding place at this point, arching up toward the bag as we lowered it into the enclosure. The snake moved toward the rock with the two mice on it, and my partner and I lay down on the bed about three feet away, our heads directly across from where the snake was on the rock.

This was when things got strange.

The snake seemed to make eye contact with me. We stared at each other for what felt like forever. I moved my head to the right, maintaining eye contact. It moved it's head to the right. Thinking a fluke, I moved my head back. The snake did the same. These were the subtlest of movements; my partner was right beside me. But I did it enough times to be sure, the snake was following me. I felt like I had connected with Kale.. We held each other's eye contact and I felt myself building some kind of adrenaline rush. I can't explain it, it was as though my body was getting pumped for something. This stopped when I broke eye contact with Kale. I locked eyes with him again, and felt my breathing become almost heavy, along with the same adrenaline rush. Maybe we had connected on such a level that I received some of his feelings; I'm not sure. We were still staring at each other, (to the best of my memory) when suddenly he lunged, mouth open, in a strike. But it wasn't the mouse he aimed for; he lunged right at the glass toward me. I gasped; jumped back, and dug my nails hard enough into my partner's leg that I feel guilty. He had made a strike at me.(How he does toward his prey to eat.)


I don't know what happened; all I know is I made an incredible connection with a snake tonight. I think I'll go see if he ate any of the mice now. Goodnight everyone. :)

2 comments:

  1. My bfff has a snake and they actually speak to each other. My familiar who died last November was so connected to me that I could just look at him and he would know what I wanted. Sometimes those connections are sweet and sometimes scary. I have to say that would have freaked me waaaay out being that I'm terrified of snakes. I don't even think I could have stayed in the room to watch him eat. Maybe he took you "staring at him" as a threat and was showing dominance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't staring at him at first, I was talking to my partner and gazing around when saw him staring at me. That was when eye contact began. It didn't feel like a dominance issue, I can't explain the feeling I got from him. o.o

    ReplyDelete